Thursday, December 28, 2006

"Normal" Service Has Been Resumed

Hello - remember me? Awful limericks and a disturbing fondness for marsupials. It's all been a bit hectic of late, and something had to go I'm afraid. It was either blogging or my regular ferret-racing nights, and the ferrets won. Not really, but it's as good as any other excuse.

Anyway, VallyP has pulled me out of cyber-limbo, mostly due to my profound regret at not having been in touch with her when she needed friends (even the bloggy ones) most, and partly because I see that some weeks ago she was foolish enough to challenge me to produce one of those listy things.

Val, it's not up to your standard, but off the top of my head, this is what I've come up with. It is a very abridged list. It omits the facts that I''ll never have a decent cleavage, I'll never do more housework than to a standard just below acceptable, and I'll never get around to posting this if I don't stop waffling and get on with it.

So, here we go:

1. Although I will continue to go grey, and occasionally to fall victim to unnecessarily avant-garde hairdressers, I'll never feel like anything other than a redhead

2. I'll never go bungy jumping, let go willingly of a hand-hold at any height greater than two metres, or leap from a moving vehicle of any description

3. I'll never think of McDonald's hamburgers or chicken nuggets of any brand as food

4. I'll never get sick of the first sip of a truly wonderful wine or the first mouthful of a fabulous meal (though I will happily polish off both in the hope that I might learn to).

5. I'll never stop feeling the need to laugh

6. I'll never do anything more than half a day before a deadline, no matter how many months I've had to do it

7. I'll never pass a single day without listening to music of some sort, or reading something from a book

8. I'll never get sick of good friends, wonderful family and useless pets

9. I'll never feel happy about getting out of bed before 9am or putting the light out before 11.30pm, though I am obliged to do both most of the time

10. (And this is while thinking of you on the loss of your father too Val); I'll never forget what my mother did for me, and never spend a day when I don't wish she was still here to enjoy what she worked for all those years, and the love of the people she did it for.

M x

14 Comments:

Blogger Vallypee said...

Dear Margie, your list is so wonderfully you (well, what I imagine you are) and I really enjoyed it! I especially appreciated the last one, but in fact I found I could easily relate to all of your never do's, and think with nostalgia of your # 1. I will never stop thinking of myself as a brunette (which I was - very) even though my hair is now white with a helpful hint of blonde now and then. But I will also never stop enjoying a glass of wine, end the day without reading and music, and enjoying laughter with good friends.

Thank you dear Margie, and thank you too for your kind words of support. Tomorrw morning, I am off to London for the funeral, which will be hard but also a kind of closure. I know my dad is at peace now and for that I can be very grateful.

9:24 am  
Blogger MargieCM said...

I'll be thinking of you Val - have left a proper message over on yours just now.

M x

12:44 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

Ah Margie - excellent list!

My youngest child, Jenny, has red hair... and everything else that goes with it!

I am terrified of heights, too - but I ski...

McDonalds is more like something for your mouth to play with...

Good wine and good food - oh yes!

Who's laughing? ;)

Crap - my CD player is broken and I haven't had time to pick up a good book in a while...

Friends, family and usless pets are what life's all about!

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to be up at 5:00 am and in bed by 9:00 pm... but, like you, not terribly happy about it!

I think of both my parents and what they have done and continue to do for me... I fall back on their teachings every day as I do my best to raise my family to the best of my ability.

Oh girl, can I relate to your List!

I hope you have a Happy New Year and all the best for you and yours in 2007!

Love
Dale

2:16 am  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Margie,

I profoundly agree on #5, very beautifully said! I will never stop feeling the need to laugh either...

Happy New Year! Hopefully 2007 will be a fantastic year for you!

Maria

9:53 am  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Happy 2007 Margie. Thank you so much for your lovely and very perceptive words on my blog. It's been a difficult time, but the new year is here and I have a feeling my dad chose his time in with a sense of completion. He loved order, so in a way it's fitting that his send off was the closing day of the year. Bless you again and hoping you have a wonderful year ahead. xx

12:44 pm  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

a good nevers there marge..
ferrets hmm hyper little critters they are..when ever i back one to win it always falls at the last fence..

happy new year to you and yours..x..

1:11 am  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Great list there, Marge!

I always wanted to be a real redhead- they seem to have spirit and spunk!

Happy New Year!

2:41 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Hi Margie
Hope all's well with you. I keep hearing news of the terrible drought you are having in Auz, so I hope you arent too dry there in Melbourne, and that your garden hasn't turned to ash. Oops, I know I shouldn't talk about Ashes....it's like basil Fawlty not mentioning the war, though. Seems to be a compulsion to scratch at that sore...lol

7:57 am  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Hoping all's well with your Margie. We miss you!

7:52 am  
Blogger NeanS said...

Hey Margie,

Its been a while since I posted. My computer broke down for about a month and I had no internet access for that time. Hope you had a great Christmas and the New Year finds you well and happy!

Keep It Moist,


Neans

3:02 pm  
Blogger Dale said...

Hi Margie!

From up over :)

12:57 am  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

er..call this normal service missy!!!...

7:55 am  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Excuse me, but is this blog still in business...there's an awful lot of cobwebs around here and it's terribly dusty....needs a bit of TLC if you ask me!

8:59 am  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

i expect to see a new post when i get back missy!..x..

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home