Thursday, May 17, 2007

Toads!


A bit of unnatural history for you today. Feeling comfy?
Good. Then we'll begin:
Although we're pretty vigilant now, in the past Australia has had an odd habit of introducing animals and plants which, frankly, were absent from this huge island continent for a reason. These include rabbits and foxes (brought over by early settlers for food and "sport", respectively), camels (for desert transport), water buffalo (for meat), and prickly pear, which was brought out with the first fleet together with the cochineal insects which feed off it and were used to create fabric dyes. All these things are now feral and in plague proportions, and do immeasurable harm to native flora and fauna.

One of the worst, however, is the Cane Toad. This handsome beastie was introduced to the Australian food chain in 1935 to control two insects which were devastating the important Northern sugar cane crops. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, these guys, unlike the vast majority of frogs and toads, are really hardy little buggers. They thrive and breed with an enthusiasm and efficiency which is truly awe-inspiring. They also like to travel. Intended for far Northern Australia, they have now come almost right down the Eastern coastline and are travelling inland.

This morning's paper carried the news that one has just been found in a suburban back-yard in Melbourne where I live (it's in Victoria; the little funny-shaped state above the island state of Tasmania on the map I pinched from a Government environmental info site well I pay my taxes so I figure I'm entitled). This is not good.

The problem with cane toads (besides the fact that they make a terrible mess when you squash them) is that they eat almost anything they can fit into their mouths; small lizards and snakes, marsupials, native frogs and their tadpoles, insects - even pet food that's left out. In addition, although some birds and animals have learned not to eat them, many are a bit slower on the uptake, and these guys are seriously toxic. Poison-secreting glands on their shoulders guarantee a nasty death through heart failure for any creature who fancies them as lunch. We lose many native animals and also domestic pets this way - even a few licks or an exploratory nibble can be enough to kill. Children living in cane toad country are taught early on that the only way to deal with them involves a blunt object or a stout pair of boots.

Apart from these one-meal martyrs, (some species of which are now threatened), the cane toad has no natural predators - at least any that can come back for seconds. People are encouraged to clobber any cane toads they see, collect and destroy their tadpoles (unfortunately many native taddies are culled in the process if it's done by well-meaning amateurs), and even bundle them into freezer bags and put them on ice til they lose consciousness and die humanely (you reckon?).

Apart from that, what's the plan? Introduce another predator? Well, yes, but in viral form this time. Scientists are serching for a cane-toad-specific virus which will take them out like some sort of biological neutron bomb and leave all other creatures unaffected. Hmmm. I think we've been down this path before ...
Perhaps a community-driven eradiacation campaign is what's really needed. I'm already working on lyrics for the jingle:
If you see a knobbly toad
Run it over on the road
If it's sitting on the mat
Bash it with a cricket bat
If it's swimming in your pool
Hold it under (though it's cruel)
If it's basking in the yard
Close your eyes and stomp real hard
If you are a farmer / grower
Run it over with the mower
If your doggie tries to tease it
Whack it in a bag and freeze it
Do it nicely, please be kind,
And if it's quick the toad won't mind.
What do you think - a winner?

14 Comments:

Blogger grace said...

Interesting Toad Poem! He is a beauty though? They sound a bit like racoons in the US. You guys over there have some hardy animals! How big are they?

2:02 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

This is so interesting, Margie, and better than Wikipedia! As you saytoo, very worrying. I've heard of the Cane Toad before but never knew they were such a menace, and how odd to have no natural predators. Does anyone know where they come from originally? Is it possible they have an NP in their country of source? Maybe that could be a solution. The thought of creating a virus to kill them is too scary by half, and could have other consequences.

On a lighter note, your poem is a credit to your genius, dear Margie. Brilliant as always even when on the subject of brutality...ahem...but it could do the trick, you never know! I'd vote for it as a cunning scheme...oops...I meant winning theme. ;-)

5:00 pm  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Grace - You really like him? He's yours! As for size, they are not tiny critters by any means. In fact, the one found locally prompted the headline "'Bloody big' cane toad found in Seaford." (Well, it was an Australian paper, and they were quoting the householder who found it.) Apparently it was the size of two tennis balls and weighed about half a kilo. However, the largest female ever found was 23cm long and weighed 3 kilos. Now THAT leaves a mess on your gumboot!

Vally, I believe they are natives of South and Central America. They probably do have natural predators there, but I imagine those predators may also find our native mammals and amphibians rather yummy too, so it's a nice idea, but ...

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that you can no longer say I never teach you anything. Whether you needed to know or not is another matter entirely.

8:42 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

I see the problem, so your solution has to be the one! Maybe you could your verse put it to music....y'know, a nice ditty to catch the imagination. Just think, all the kids could start school assembly every morning singing about braining toads kindly with cricket bats! Lovely stuff!

Margie, you teach me lots...my own mine of wondrous information. I mean look at Br...thingy the photographer and Margarita Pracatan. I am enriched!

10:28 pm  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi there Margie,

Australia is the primary example of the devastating effects of introducing foreign life forms to an ecosystem which is defenseless against them and where there are no natural enemies to keep the numbers in check, isn't it? I'm sure there are other places but Australia is pretty unique due to the scale.

In any case your poem is a real battle hymn for the toad eradication campaign. That cricket bat reminds me of that evergreen by the Ramones: Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat, oh yeah.

Maria

P.S. I forgot to say earlier that I checked more pics of Brassai from your previous post and I have to say there's something very special about his work, in particular the photographs of people. They really make you stop and look at all the details and wonder about the story behind them.

6:43 am  
Blogger grace said...

that is a huge toad!!

2:25 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Thanks so much for dropping by,Margie. I know how busy you are, so your words in flight are always a pleasure. Re your question, the only changes to African Ways are proof corrections - a word or two here and there and some layout issues, but that's all. So, don't rush in to buy it! You have it already, bless you xxx

8:48 pm  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Don't be daft, Vally - of course I'll buy it! How are you to keep body, soul and barge together if not even your bloggy friends will support you? Patron of the arts, me. Anyway, it will be a privilege to own a "real" copy, though I won't be recycling my original. That will become a collector's item and will make my fortune in later years. I'll flog it to pay for an extra blanket and a new set of teeth. Meanwhile, I will try to post a review for you on Thursday, my next "day off".

Speaking of the arts in all their diverse glory, re your previous comment: I bet that's the first time Brassai and Margarita Pracatan have appeared together in the same sentence! I suspect he'd have quite liked her though.

Grace, yes, they really can grow to be huge, and quite disgusting with it - though apparently not to each other if their procreational prowess is any indication. Erk.

Maria, you're right; the fact that we are an island continent spares us many nasties which in other parts of the world would simply skip across arbitrary borders, but when we do import them they hit hard, as it's such a different environment. I believe we have some of the toughest quarantine laws in the world to protect our ecosystem.

I laughed at your Ramones reference - you could be on to something there! Oh, and I'm really happy that you're exploring more of Brassai's work. I agree - his photographs of people are especially wonderful.

11:29 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Margie, far be it from me to deny you your spare set of teeth...and the extra blanket - I hope it won't be one of those cheap army issue ones...I mean you won't get that much for the 'original'!....Now where did I put that hanky to mop up the tears of laughter? You are classic!

Hehe I hope Br...thingy isn't turning in his grave now..!

3:57 am  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

I love the poem a definate winner!!..
oh crikey thats a nightmare i'm glad we don't have that problem here, my brothers garden is over run with frogs, its near a river..
I had a squashed toad once it was perfectly formed , just flat as a witches tit, it had a face and everything, i lost it somehow, hope it turned up somewhere where it shouldn't heh!..

8:00 am  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Grace, yes, they really can grow to be huge, and quite disgusting with it - though apparently not to each other if their procreational prowess is any indication. Erk.

Urgh, that's a really nightmarish vision. Giant toads filling the land. Wasn't that one of the biblical plagues? Well I think the toads were of normal size there. I'm a firm supporter of protecting the animals and their living habitats etc. but if I'm quite honest I have to admit that I have considerably less sympathy for certain species.

7:08 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Haha Maria, yes I think we can all do with being a bit more honest about that. I for one have no sense of humour when it comes to cockroaches - not that I've seen one since I left SA, but even now they can give me the shudders!

8:13 am  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Well now ... cockroaches! In recent years these have become more prevalent here - the big black ones - and at least once a week I find one of their number lurking under something or scuttling between my pots and pans when I open a cupboard. I'm a bit blase about them these days, and just put them outside. Five years ago I'd've screamed the place down.

I quite fancy the idea of a flat frog Gypsy - no idea why, cos I love the little guys. At least cockroaches are pretty much pre-flattened. Speaking of plagues, tough Australians and flat things, I once visited a family in the Wimmera, (large wheat-belt region) during a mice plague. They had four young children, whose favourite hobby that summer was stamping on the hordes of scurrying mice in their biggest barn. Believe me, it was like a moving rodent carpet there were so many. The most disgusting aspect of this was that the children did it in their bare feet!

Don't ever mess with a country kid.

8:50 am  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Oh, and Maria - I think you're right about the toad plague. And I'll match your honesty by saying I'd be pretty happy to risk a glitch in the food chain to be rid of some things too. We have leeches at our place on the coast. Good ones, too - the hospitals still collect Otway Ranges leeches for use in reducing swelling after reconstructive facial surgery. If only they could take the lot and breed them nicely in a lab somewhere instead of fattening them up on me first!

8:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home