Thursday, May 17, 2007

Vinegar Eggs

Now that the comments on my last post have evolved into discussions of cockroaches, flat frogs, leeches and barefoot mice squashing, it might be time for something less disgusting. I'm not sure if you'll agree the following actually IS less disgusting, but humour me anyway.

I had one of my cravings this morning. Not the usual, run-of-the-mill predictable stuff like chocolate or jujubes or rogan josh, but an old favourite of my Dad's: vinegar eggs. Having just eaten them in gastromomic rapture, I would now like to, as they say, share the love.

I think I gave this recipe on much-missed Neil's blog a while ago, but it's so fabulous I'm going to give it space here too (because I'd never put anything here that wasn't utterly brilliant, would I coff coff).

Right. Enough preamble. Vinegar Eggs.

Have everything ready before you start: a small, heavy frying pan, two eggs, butter, toast ready to go (sourdough is especially good here), vinegar (malt is best but you could use white and work up to the heavy stuff gradually as your taste buds develop haha), and a lid for the pan.

Heat pan and add a good knob of butter. When it's light golden brown, crack two free-range, preferably organic eggs into it, yolks intact.

Quickly slosh over a good measure of vinegar, (maybe two or three tablespoons, but guess) and put the lid on straight away. The eggs should half fry / half steam in the pan. Take the lid off after a minute or so to check the eggs are done as you like them. Ideally whites should be set and yolks runny.

Lift out the eggs from the poaching liquid and onto your toast, grind a little black pepper over it all, and eat accompanied by copious quantities of hot tea.

I know it sounds vile, but you have to trust me - and my Dad - on this one. Mind you, some of you may remember that this is the same culinary dynamic duo who brought you the arguable delights of Vegemite and chutney on toast, so I'll understand if my cred here is not as high as it might be.

Still ... go on ... live dangerously, eh?

9 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

LOL

I'll try them and let you know how fowl they really are - I think the toast may be the only redeeming quality.

11:36 pm  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Actually, I was expecting something like the Swedish sour herring (Link), but this doesn't sound all that bad. In fact I could imagine the vinegar giving it a nice edge. To the flavour that is :-)

3:44 am  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

I try not to go near anything bitter, lest it rub off on me. :)

xx
AM

9:34 am  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Way hey Margie, it's far too late and I should be in bed as I have to go to work in the morning and I want to die I'm so tired, but had to read this recipe....I'll take it on trust that it's goo, I think..or what the hell, maybe I'll try it - tomorrow for breakfast! Vinegar before a meeting..hmmm...too tired to think on.

Anyway, I've been a good girl and put up another offering of WW. Don't be cross if there are glitches though. I've tried to correct it, but am sure I've missed things.....bump....ouch...that's my head hitting the table. Off to bed with you Val!

10:12 am  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Goo, Vally? GOO?

Talk of Freudian slips!

12:10 pm  
Blogger gypsy noir said...

well i've never had sourdough..and only use chip-shop vinegar.. but it sound quite nice so i might try it..
Don't worry about neil he is fine..i might even force feed him this delight next time i see him, he only ever eats my speciality cheese on toast!..

3:38 am  
Blogger Vallypee said...

haha Dale, I've just noticed how fowl they really are too, and as for 'goo', Margie...well you know, forewarned is forearmed......did I spell that right? Sheesh, my spelling..or lack of it...is really worrying me these days!

3:41 am  
Blogger MargieCM said...

Dale, I logged in so briefly before I didn't even stop to say how lovely it was to see you here again! Hope you're feeling OK. If your pun's any indication, you're on the up!

Maria, I followed your link, and all I can say is next to that, my recipe looks like ambrosia. I do like the pickled herring they use in rollmops though. I also like pickled herring mixed with mayonnaise and apple, a little onion and some dill to make a salad. Good on crisp pieces of toast.

Anne-Marie - haha fat chance; you are much too nice to have anything bitter rub off. I actually like bitter foods, especially 75-80% cocoa dark chocolate mmmmm....

Gypsy - yes, do please try it on Neil - I seem to recall he once expressed a fondness for vinegary things, so he might be the one person this actually works for. Glad to hear he's doing well.

Val, hope you've had some sleep by now. I have printed but not yet read the latest chapter. Looking forward to it very much though, and I'm sure it will be completely glitchless. (Hmmm nice word.)

Now stop writing the lot of you and go and EAT SOME EGGS!

6:02 pm  
Blogger Vallypee said...

Margie, the Dutch habits sound suspiciously like those of the Finns. Nothing, I repeat NOTHING disgusts me more than watching Koos slide a smoked eel down his throat! The eggs are definitely ambrosia by comparison...oooh yes!

9:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home